MHG7729 - Crannog, Loch Tollaidh
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CRANNOG (Early Iron Age to Medieval - 550 BC to 1559 AD)
- (Alternate Type) CASTLE (Early Iron Age to Medieval - 550 BC to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
Photo 5/5/2004 shows small island, but with other external outlying structures as well - HAW 5/2004
NG87NW 5 8423 7872.
Site of Castle (NR) OS 6"map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1905)
A crannog said to have been site of a fortalice occupied first of the MacBeath's and then of MacLeods's until 1480.
The crannog is now overgrown by bushes and only a few loose stones remain of stronghold.
J H Dixon 1886; F O Blundell 1913.
The crannog now consists of 2 small islands, 7m and 3m in diameter, composed of loose stones and bearing bushes. No trace of a causeway could be found.
Visited by OS (R D) 31 March 1965.
Snorkelling in shallow water around this island in February 1992, remains of what appeared to be a stone causeway were immediately visible together with a perimeter of boulders piled on bed of loch. The island may be natural and substantially modified, but certainly there are extensive remains underwater. No dressed stone was observed, nor any organic remains, but subcircular outline of boulders resembles other submerged artificial islands in Scotland. More detailed and extensive survey work is planned for August.
N Dixn 1992a.
- --- SHG1065 Text/Publication/Article: Dixon, N. 1992. 'Loch Tollie survey, Gairloch, Ross-shire', S T U A News Vol. 2 July 1992, p.1-2. S T U A News. 1-2. 1-2.
- --- SHG2125 Text/Publication/Volume: Dixon, J H. 1886. Gairloch in north west Ross-shire: its records, traditions inhabitants and natural history with a guide to Gairloch and Loch Maree. 21, 24, 98.
- --- SHG25450 Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 08/2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Gairloch. Yes. Site 11.
- --- SHG829 Text/Publication/Article: Blundell, F O. 1913. 'Further notes on the artificial islands in the Highland area', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 47 1912-13, p.257-302. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 257-302. 276-7.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8423 7872 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11958 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.