MHG7731 - Flowerdale House, Place of Justice
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- PUNISHMENT PLACE (Undated)
- (Alternate Type) MOUND (Undated)
- None recorded
The circular island in paddock below Flowerdale House, which as until recent times the place where justice was administered in Gairloch, is probably Druidical. It is scarcely an island, the moat or ditch which formerly insulated it being now filled up, or nearly so. It formed no part of the Tigh Dige (NG87NW 8).
J H Dixon 1886.
Situated in marshy ground in a paddock 20m N. of a burn and 150m S of Flowerdale House, is an artificial flat-topped island, planted with trees, and still known locally as a place of justice. It measures 9m in dia., by 0.4m in ht., and is surrounded by a 4m wide ditch with a very slight bank on S side to contain water. No causeway across the ditch is visible.
Surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 6 April 1965.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Dixon, J H. 1886. Gairloch in north west Ross-shire: its records, traditions inhabitants and natural history with a guide to Gairloch and Loch Maree. 97.
- --- Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 08/2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Gairloch. Yes. Site 36.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8144 7520 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11960 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.