MHG7734 - BA Flanged Axe, Slattadale
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
Bronze celt found at Slatadale; it is considerably worn. (The illustration agrees with description of an axe found near Poolewe - See NG88SE 7)
J H Dixon 1886.
A class II MBA axe from Slattadale, Loch Maree. (Auchendrane group). In NMAS Acc No L 1958.14.
J M Coles 1962.
(Flanged axe of Balcarry type). Single find. Flanged axe, badly corroded, green; length 143mm, butt 20mm, cutting edge 42mm, weight 220 gms. NMAS L.1958.14.
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
Axehead now (2011) on display at Gairloch Museum. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1962. ''Scottish Late Bronze Age metalwork: typology, distributions and chronology'', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 93 1959-60, p.16-134. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 16-134. 138, No. 3.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1966. 'Scottish Middle Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 97 1963-4, p.82-156. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 82-156. 109, no. 710.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Dixon, J H. 1886. Gairloch in north west Ross-shire: its records, traditions inhabitants and natural history with a guide to Gairloch and Loch Maree. 103, 104,; fig., 110.
- --- Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection at Gairloch Museum.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 109, no. 710.
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 08/2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Gairloch. Yes. Site 6.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8799 7200 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11963 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.