MHG7743 - Clapper Bridge Over Allt Beithe, Aultbea
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CLAPPER BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Still intact in village. Bollards to stop cart access from east end. Bench at that end also - HAW 7/2004
NG88NE 4 8735 8897
'...NG873889, 18th to 19th century. A 7-span clapper bridge, with spans of unequal length.'
J R Hume 1977
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Close-Brooks, J. 1986. Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands. 59, No. 22.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 287.
- --- Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 08/2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Gairloch. Yes. Site 17.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8737 8898 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://kweimar.de/Bilder_XML.php?ket=11_01 (View more information on this bridge from a website about Highland Bridges)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7907 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11973 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.