MHG7763 - Strathcarron Station

Summary

This intermediate station opened on 19 August 1870 (by Dingwall and Skye Railway) and remains in regular use by passenger traffic.

Type and Period (1)

  • RAILWAY STATION (19th Century to 21st Century - 1870 AD to 2100 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Station building, renovated, in use as the village store and post office. Lattice iron foot bridge. Station still in use - HAW 2/2004

GR corrected to above from 1st ed OS where marked as Strathcarron Station - HAW 12/2003

NG94SW 7 942 421
(Location cited as NG 943 422) Strathcarron Station, opened 1870 by the Dingwall & Skye Rly. A two-platform through station with the main offices in a two-storey harled building on the up platform, with three gables on the platform side. The lattice-girder footbridge was built in 1900 by the Rose Street Foundry, Inverness.
J R Hume 1977. <1>

This intermediate station on the Inverness - Beauly - Kyle of Lochalsh line of the former Highland Rly opened on 19 August 1870 (by Dingwall and Skye Rly.) and remains in regular use by passenger traffic.
R V J Butt 1995. <2>

Information and photographs received from visitor to HER website. Strathcarron developed very rapidly between 1870 and 1875 (the date of the Ordnance Suvey 1st edition). The railway, station, a Hotel and Post Office are all shown on the 1st edition. <3>

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NG 9424 4214 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NG94SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish LOCHCARRON

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.