MHG7763 - Strathcarron Station
This intermediate station opened on 19 August 1870 (by Dingwall and Skye Railway) and remains in regular use by passenger traffic.
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY STATION (19th Century to 21st Century - 1870 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
Station building, renovated, in use as the village store and post office. Lattice iron foot bridge. Station still in use - HAW 2/2004
GR corrected to above from 1st ed OS where marked as Strathcarron Station - HAW 12/2003
NG94SW 7 942 421
(Location cited as NG 943 422) Strathcarron Station, opened 1870 by the Dingwall & Skye Rly. A two-platform through station with the main offices in a two-storey harled building on the up platform, with three gables on the platform side. The lattice-girder footbridge was built in 1900 by the Rose Street Foundry, Inverness.
J R Hume 1977. <1>
This intermediate station on the Inverness - Beauly - Kyle of Lochalsh line of the former Highland Rly opened on 19 August 1870 (by Dingwall and Skye Rly.) and remains in regular use by passenger traffic.
R V J Butt 1995. <2>
Information and photographs received from visitor to HER website. Strathcarron developed very rapidly between 1870 and 1875 (the date of the Ordnance Suvey 1st edition). The railway, station, a Hotel and Post Office are all shown on the 1st edition. <3>
- <1> SHG2332 Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 292.
- <2> SHG2009 Text/Publication/Volume: Butt, R V J. 1995. The directory of railway stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present. 222.
- <3> SHG23871 Text/Correspondence: Swan, P. 2008-9. Correspondence from Paul Swan regarding several sites in the Lochcarron area. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 9424 4214 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12041 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.