MHG7773 - Battle Site, Bealach Nam Brog
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BATTLE SITE (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
A battle was fought at Bealach nam Brog between Lord Lovat, with Munros of Fowles and Dingwalls of Kildun, and the men of Donald MacIver from Kinlochewe. Near the area of the battle 'a perfect speciman of an arrowhead' was picked up in 1913.
A C M Mitford 1936
'In year 1452, ......, the desperate skirmish of Beallach nam Brog occurred, in which the Earl of Ross.... attached and slaughtered his foes, including Mackenzies Kinlochewe men..'
J H Dixon 1886
A famous fight between the Munros and the Mackenzies at Bealach nam Brog W J Watson 1904
No further information. Visited by OS (W D J) 18 April 1963
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Dixon, J H. 1886. Gairloch in north west Ross-shire: its records, traditions inhabitants and natural history with a guide to Gairloch and Loch Maree. 14.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mitford, A C M. 1936. Guide to Wester Ross: Ullapool, Lochbroom Dundonnell, Gairloch, Achnasheen, Garve with historical and descriptive notes. 2nd ed.. 49-50.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1904. Place names of Ross and Cromarty. 280.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 422 713 (50m by 50m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- ARROWHEAD (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12490 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.