MHG778 - Round Cairn, Torr Mor
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
'Torr Mor: Cairn. Situated on top of a natural knoll is a small mound of grass-covered stones. It measures 8.5m in diameter by 0.6m high. In the centre of the mound and oriented E-W is a small cist lined with stone slabs; it measures 1.2m long by 0.7m wide and 0.5m deep. Alongside the cist is the cap-stone, a flat slab 1.2m x 0.9m x 0.1m
Visited by OS (WDJ) 11 April 1962.
(ND 0617 5636) Torr Mor (NAT) Cairn (NR) OS 6"map, (1963)
Torr Mor: A partially heather and turf-covered cairn measuring 7.5m NW-SE by 6.5m, with a maximum height of 0.9m in the N half, situated on top of shelving rock. Slightly E of centre is the cist described by previous OS surveyor. The capstone is now displaced onto the SE side of the cairn. A number of disturbed slabs also lie on the cairn.
Visited by OS (JM) 9 July 1981.
Though recorded as a chambered cairn by Mercer this is a round cairn with a central cist. R J Mercer 1985;
J L Davidson and A S Henshall 1991.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 170.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Hill, P.H.. 1985. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: Volume III: 1982-1983. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1985. Paper and Digital. 210, no. FOR 403.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0616 5636 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM491 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7627 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.