MHG778 - Round Cairn, Torr Mor
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
'Torr Mor: Cairn. Situated on top of a natural knoll is a small mound of grass-covered stones. It measures 8.5m in diameter by 0.6m high. In the centre of the mound and oriented E-W is a small cist lined with stone slabs; it measures 1.2m long by 0.7m wide and 0.5m deep. Alongside the cist is the cap-stone, a flat slab 1.2m x 0.9m x 0.1m
Visited by OS (WDJ) 11 April 1962.
(ND 0617 5636) Torr Mor (NAT) Cairn (NR) OS 6"map, (1963)
Torr Mor: A partially heather and turf-covered cairn measuring 7.5m NW-SE by 6.5m, with a maximum height of 0.9m in the N half, situated on top of shelving rock. Slightly E of centre is the cist described by previous OS surveyor. The capstone is now displaced onto the SE side of the cairn. A number of disturbed slabs also lie on the cairn.
Visited by OS (JM) 9 July 1981.
Though recorded as a chambered cairn by Mercer this is a round cairn with a central cist. R J Mercer 1985;
J L Davidson and A S Henshall 1991.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 170.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Hill, P.H.. 1985. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: Volume III: 1982-1983. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1985. Paper and Digital. 210, no. FOR 403.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0616 5636 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:491 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM491 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7627 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)