MHG7792 - Henge, Achilty
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HENGE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
3 Photos of "henge" taken 4/4/2003 during site visit to assess impact of development proposal to E - HAW 4/2003
NH45NW 1 4411 5692.
Stone Circle (NR) (Remains) OS 6"map, Rossshire, 2nd ed (1907)
Henge: A roughly circular area 32' in diameter, surrounded by a ditch 20' wide, broken by an entrance causeway in ESE, which is at present about 4' wide. The whole is enclosed by a continuous bank, there being no gap to correspond to causeway and overall diameter of site between opposite points on crest varies from 66' - 76', the larger axis being that which passes through the entrance. No berm is visible between bank and ditch, top of bank averages 4' above ditch bottom.
The NSA (1837) states that "a few empty earthen jars" were found, and enclosure is described as "a circle formed of stone." The bank is largely composed of earth and any large stones must have disappeared by 1822, an engraved idealised plan of that date having been made. (Archaeol Scot 1822)
A A Woodham 1955
Contin (Henge): A monument of which there is certain room for doubt. At first sight it seems to be a Class I henge, 75' diameter, but bank appears to run without interruption across entrance causeway in ditch. Only excavation could determine if it was a henge. Even so, it is extremely likely that it belongs to some obscure phase of transitional period early in 2nd or even late in 3rd millenium BC.
R W Feachem 1963
Probable henge, as described above. Slightly mutilated in W quadrant.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 20 January 1965
Classified as a henge, as opposed to a possible henge.
H A W Burl 1969
No change. Visited by RCAMS (JRS) March 1989.
Bone, J, Aerial photographs of various sites submitted by Jim Bone (Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Oblique). SHG24076.
Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG3824.
Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG8041.
Skene, J, 1822, 'An account of the hill fort of the Barmekyne in Aberdeenshire', Archaeol Scot Vol. 2 1822, p.324-7, 324-7; ff 324, pl.7 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG159.
Woodham, A A, 1955, 'Four henge monuments in Easter Ross', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 87 1952-3, p.72-9, 73-4 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG810.
Feachem, R W, 1963, A Guide to Prehistoric Scotland, 67 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2187.
Burl, H A W, 1969, 'Henges: internal features and regional groups', Archaeol J Vol. 126 1969, p.1-28, 26 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG889.
Harding and Lee, A F and G E, 1987, Henge monuments and related sites of Great Britain: air photographic evidence and catalogue, 362-3, No. 263 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG306.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Skene, J. 1822. 'An account of the hill fort of the Barmekyne in Aberdeenshire', Archaeol Scot Vol. 2 1822, p.324-7. Archaeol Scot. 324-7. 324-7; ff 324, pl.7.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Feachem, R W. 1963. A Guide to Prehistoric Scotland. 1st. 67.
- --- Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Oblique: Bone, J. Aerial photographs of various sites submitted by Jim Bone. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Harding and Lee, A F and G E. 1987. Henge monuments and related sites of Great Britain: air photographic evidence and catalogue. Brit Ser. 175. 362-3, No. 263.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Woodham, A A. 1955. 'Four henge monuments in Easter Ross', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 87 1952-3, p.72-9. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 72-9. 73-4.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Burl, H A W. 1969. 'Henges: internal features and regional groups', Archaeol J Vol. 126 1969, p.1-28. Archaeol J. 1-28. 26.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4411 5691 (60m by 60m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- VESSEL (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1667 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1667 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12470 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.