MHG780 - Hut Circle, Brawlbin
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
"About 1 mile NNW of Dorrery Lodge, at the base of the eastern slope of Ben Freiceadain, is a well-preserved hut circle. The enclosing wall is largely overgrown with vegetation, but on the outside towards the S. it is exposed in plans to a height of 2'. The thickness of the main wall of the circle is 6', increasing to 9' on eigher side of the entrance. It is entered from the ESE through a passage in the thickness of the wall 9' in length, 5' in width at the outer end and 2' 3" at the interior. At 4' from the inner end two upright stones in situ have evidently formed jambs con- stricting the width of the passage to 1' 6". Interiorly, the circle, which is of pear-shaped form, measures 27' x 31'. The interior is divided into two by a wall some 2'-6" in breadth, forming an arc having its concave out-line facing the entrance at 17' distant from it. There seems to have been an entrance to the back enclosure near the centre of the cross wall. Against the dividing wall, and in the front compartment on the left of the entrance to the back, has been a small circular enclosure measuring interiorly some 5' x 4'. The level of the back division is rather higher than that of the front. The main wall in the interior at highest has an elevation of nearly 4'. Against the external face of the wall on the E side of the entrance are indications of a small outer construction."
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.
The remains of this hut-circle were located at ND 0646 5606. It measures c 11.5m. NW-SE by c 10.4m. transversely and is fully described by RCAHMS.
Visited by OS (W D J) 11 April 1962.
(ND 0646 5606) Hut Circle (NR) OS 6"map, (1963)
A hut circle, overgrown with heather and branches, as described and planned by RCAHMS. N of entrance a section of inner wall-face is exposed. The construction noted by RCAHMS outside the entrance appears to be merely debris. Apart from one or two mounds nearby, which may be clearance heaps, there is no evidence of associated cultivation.
Visited by OS (N K B) 15 September 1981.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 97-8, No. 357 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0645 5606 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:523 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM523 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7629 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.