MHG7801 - Possible early church and (later?) graveyard - Clach na h'Annaid, Strathconon
A possible early church and (later?) graveyard at Clach na h'Annaid, Strathconon.
Type and Period (2)
- CHURCH (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
- CEMETERY (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A possible early church and (later?) infants' graveyard at Clach na h'Annaid, Strathconon.
Place name evidence strongly suggests that there was an early Celtic religious settlement in area of Carn na h'Annaid, Allt na h'Annaid, Clach na h'Annaid and Cladh na h'Annaid.
W J Watson 1904
The Burial Ground at 3403 5481 is said to have been used for children who had not been baptised.
Name Book 1875
Described as "Infants Burial Ground (disused)" on 1st ed OS 6" map with a rectangular enclosure shown at the eastern end of the field . On the 2nd ed OS 6" map the whole field is labelled "Burial Ground (disused)".
There is no local knowledge of Celtic monastic establishment in area. The name, 'Cladh na h'Annaid' refers to a disused graveyard at NH34035481, now visible as a rectangular enclosure bounded by vague turf-covered footings of a rubble wall. No graves remain, and date of last interment could not be ascertained. The tradition regarding unbaptised children could not be confirmed.
Clach na h'Annaid is a huge natural boulder on S side of road at NH 3395 5473
Surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 24 October 1966
'Annait' is C9-10 term for a church-site of any kind abandoned during period and not subsequently re-used as site of a focal church.
A MacDonald 1973
Clach na h’Annaid
Burial ground and enclosure (739, 740) - centred on NH 34039 54789 (Nmrs No NH35SW 001). Marked on on 1st edition OS as “Infants Burial ground” This site is on the valley floor, close to the river and must on occasions come close to flooding.
739 Burial ground - NH 34039 54789 A slightly raised bracken covered area, the extent of which could hardly be defined. It is roughly rectangular and on an E-W alignment measuring c.22m x 15. The wasted turf bank, mentioned before as enclosing it, could not be discerned but there were several humps and bumps within the area. <1>
- --- SHG181 Text/Publication/Article: MacDonald, A. 1973. ''Annat' in Scotland: A provisional review', Scot Stud Vol. 17 1973, p.136-146. Scot Stud. 136-146. 139.
- --- SHG2917 Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1904. Place names of Ross and Cromarty. 108.
- --- SHG3376 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 44, 13.
- <1> SHG24904 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2010. Report of Phase Three Loch Meig to Dalbreac: February 2008 to June 2008, August 2009 to October 2009. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.49 Site 739. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3403 5480 (37m by 37m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12266 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.