MHG7811 - Med Coin Hoard, Dun Lagaidh
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
A hoard of silver pennies of early 13th century gave precision to the end of the third phase of fortification (ref 11 Mackie EW: Scotland an Arch Guide) NB in refs to Fort/Dun excavation ie NH19SW0003
15 silver short cross pennies & 9 similar half pennies buried under the debris of the collapsed north radial wall. Most of these were dateable to the period AD1180-1242
GR correctd to Dun - HAW 12/2002
NH19SW 3.1 142 913
Field sketch of Fort and Broch - see Assoc. Docs. File.
J Aitken : 18/12/00.
- --- SHG1433 Text/Publication/Article: Bateson, J D. 1990. 'Roman and medieval coins found in Scotland, to 1987', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 119 1989, p.165-88. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 165-88. 172.
- --- SHG1650 Text/Publication/Article: Barlow and Robertson, E and A S. 1974. 'The Dun Lagaidh hoard of short cross sterlings', Glasgow Archaeol J Vol. 3 1974, p.78-81. Glasgow Archaeol J. 78-81. 78-81.
- --- SHG3860 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG3862 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG3863 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG3864 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG3865 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
|Grid reference||Centred NH 1425 9136 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- COIN HOARD (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.