MHG7820 - Hut circle, Meall Mor
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD) + Sci.Date
- None recorded
NH19NW 2 1055 9688
About 50m N of a sharp bend on the road to Rhue, is a hut circle with entrance on the SE. Some upright stones, c 0.1m high, revet the inner and outer faces of the wall. Around the hut-circle are several clearance cairns. Just W of the hut is a smaller circle, and c.70m to the N is another circle.
Information from C E K Scouller, Tigh na Fasileige, Rhue, Ullapool, to Society of Antiquities of Scotland, June 1989
NH 1055 9688 The settlement (NMRS NH19NW 2) extends over 1.5ha, and contains two complete hut circles, fragments of what may have been a third, and over a dozen peat-covered mounds, some of which are almost certainly clearance cairns. The larger hut circle has an internal diameter of c 10m, the smaller c 6m. There was no indication of any enclosure walls.
Fuller details have been lodged with the NMRS.
C Scouller and F Ross 1998
At least three hut circles are visible in aerial photography taken 1999-2001, 2009 and 2014. <1> <2> <3>
The northerly hut circle, recorded at NH 1057 9689, was partially excavated as part of the Wedigs Community project in 2012. It comprised a heather covered ring-bank c10m in overall diameter, with an extended entrance facing to the SE. Three small trenches were excavated, and two occupation horizons were identified. One was potentially associated with the hearth area and dated to 755-540 cal BC (1 sigma) and the other abutted the inner wall and was dated to 343-411 cal AD (1 sigma). The long gap between these dates may indicate long term use of the structure with periods of occupation and abandonment. <4> <5>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Roundhouse and cairns, Ullapool. Digital Image. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Digital Image. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Roadside cairn, Ullapool. Digital Image. .
- <1> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map).
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2014. Getmapping aerial photography 2014. XY
- <4> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Welti, A. & Wildgoose, M.. 2015. Wedigs Project 2012-2014: Final Report: A Study of West Coast Circular Structures through Landscape Survey, Site Survey and Excavation. Unaffiliated. Paper and Digital. 3.2.1, 8.2.1,.
- <5> Text/Report: SUERC. 2013-14. Radio-carbon dating of samples from WeDigs Project. SUERC. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 1048 9692 (350m by 251m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12134 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.