MHG7828 - BA Sword, Inverbroom
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A late Bronze Age leaf-shaped sword with a bronze pommel found by a gamekeeper in the cleft of a rock above Inverbroom in 1896.
In Aberdeen Museum; fascsimile in NMAS - DL 45.
PSA London 1901; J Anderson 1896; W Henderson 1938; J M Coles 1962.
(Ewart Park type - Caledonian unclassified). Single find. Heavy, well-cast sword, with wide blade. Length 70.4cm, terminal width 5.25cm, shoulder width 6.2cm, maximum blade width 5.25cm: very heavy, well cast and in excellent condition, dark green patina. The tang can be seen underneath the pommel showing that the handle and sword were cast seperately: solid cast hilt. Aberdeen City Mus. (45.2.236, WS Bell collection).
C B Burgess and I Colquhoun 1988.
- --- SHG1169 Text/Publication/Article: Anderson, J. 1896. 'Note on a bronze sword found at Inverbroom, Ross-shire; exhibited by J A Fowler, Esq., of Braemore', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 30 1895-6, p.352-6. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 352-6. 352-6.
- --- SHG1475 Text/Publication/Article: Henderson, W. 1938. 'Scottish late Bronze Age axes and Swords', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 72 1937-8, p.150-77. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 150-77. 172.
- --- SHG1476 Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1962. ''Scottish Late Bronze Age metalwork: typology, distributions and chronology'', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 93 1959-60, p.16-134. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 16-134. 85.
- --- SHG1724 Text/Publication/Article: Burgess and Colquhoun, C B and I. 1988. 'The swords of Britain', Prahistoriche Bronzefunde Vol. 4 1988. Prahistoriche Bronzefunde. 101, no. 594.
- --- SHG28278 Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. DL 45.
- --- SHG28522 Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection in Ullapool Museum.
- --- SHG957 Text/Publication/Article: PSA London. 1901. 'Isolated finds', Proc Soc Antiq London Vol. 18 1899-1900, p.370-1. Proc Soc Antiq London. 370-1. 370.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 1700 8400 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- SWORD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- CAST (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12126 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.