MHG7863 - Elsick House, Strathpeffer


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Elsick House, Strathpeffer, was originally built by Dr Thomas Morrison of Elsick, Aberdeenshire, who settled in the village when he discovered that the spring waters alleviated his arthritis. He called his new home Elsick House (although it is labelled 'Elsick Cottage on the 1st and 2nd Edition maps). It was later taken over by the Scottish Youth Hostel Association and run as a youth hostel until 2002.

This name applies to a Handsome villa residence, situated a short distance SE of "Spa Hotel". house 3 stories in height built of stone and slated. Mr HM Matheson tenant and proprietor. OS Name Book 1842-1852 Ross and Cromarty Mainland

Rebuilding and additions in 1900 by architect Alexander Ross.

Letter from J Wombell in response to p/a & copied to SMR " the raised nature of the S part of the garden, held up close to the house by a retaining wall, is curious. It is a change of level incongruous with the levels on which the surrounding properties sit. It may have been entirely natural & it may have had substantial amounts of material added to this area when Elsick House was built. However, there is a local legend that following a battle between the Mackenzies & the Macdonnels in the 15th or 16th centuries nearby, the dead were buried somewhere about Elsick.." - HAW 11/2003

P/app RC/03/976 to convert house into 4 flats and building 2 new houses in garden 11/2003. House previously youth hostel and subsequently sold. Not listed, why? 1st ed OS shows substantial garden with glass houses etc largely to S of house (although southern portion already has another house on). Recommended ARC3 & Arch recording if development goes ahead - HAW 11/2003

A photographic record of the building and its grounds was produced by Anderson Bell and Christie in 2003-4 to satisfy a condition on a planning application for renovation and re-use. <1>

Test pitting was carried out by Highland Heritage in 2004 in the garden to the rear of the property to satisfy a condition on a planning application for renovation and re-use. No archaeological features were exposed. <2>

Sources/Archives (3)



Grid reference Centred NH 4777 5743 (26m by 23m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH45NE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish CONTIN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (2)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.