MHG787 - Round Cairn, Dorrery
Site of late Neolithic-Bronze Age round cairn containing a cist.
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
Though recorded by Mercer as a chambered cairn this is a round cairn with a cist.
R J Mercer 1985; J L Davidson and A S Henshall 1991.
A cairn 8.5m diameter and, in NE half, 0.7m high; the cist is as described by RCAHMS. The slab noted in S edge of cairn is a kerb-stone and there are another 2, marginally displaced, in W arc.
Visited by OS (JM) 3 July 1981.
The remains of this cairn are as described by the RCAHMS.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 12 February 1965.
Cairn (NR) OS 6"map, (1963)
This cairn has a diameter of c40ft and a height of about 4ft. On top, near centre, a cist lying NE- SW has been exposed; it is 3ft 8ins in length by 1ft 6ins in breadth. The slabs forming one end and one side alone remain. At edge of cairn towards S, a thin slab, set upwards, 2ft 6ins in breadth, protrudes through the turf to a height of 1ft 3ins; its significance is not apparent.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.
Mound (NR) OS 6"map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
No suggestion that this is a Chambered Cairn and 'Chambered Round Cairn' monument type removed from record. GW 11/08/20
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 170.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Hill, P.H.. 1985. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: Volume III: 1982-1983. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1985. Paper and Digital. 217-18, no. FOR 468, fig. 17.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 38, No. 134.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0719 5553 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7636 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.