MHG788 - Chambered Cairn, Dorrery
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
Chambered Cairn (NR) OS 6"map, (1963)
Dorrery. This round cairn of Orkney-Cromarty type has a Camster-type chamber and is now a grass-grown mound, 45ft in diameter with a max height of 6 to 7ft. The four upright slabs, 6ins to 1ft 3ins high, just within the cairn edge, are apparently part of the peristalith. The cairn has been much robbed, especially on N and E where its structure, of flat slabs laid slanting from the centre outwards, can be seen. The chamber, 11ft long, with entrance in E, is now represented by one transversely-set inner portal stone, two pairs of taller divisional slabs and a much lower back slab. When visited in 1910 (RCAHMS 1911) part of walling on N side of the centre compartment was visible. RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910; A S Henshall 1963.
The remains of this chambered cairn are as described.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 15 February 1965.
A chambered cairn generally as described but that the back slab in situ was not identified.
Some 5m NE of cairn is a turf-covered roughly oval enclosure 2.2m by 1.8m across and 0.4m high; thin slabs on edge and living rock constitute the build. The structure has uncertain archaeological significance.
Visited by OS (J M) 3 July 1981.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 38, No. 133 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 270, no. CAT 22; plan (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S, 1991, The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents, 111, no. 22 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2115.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 111, no. 22.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 38, No. 133.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 270, no. CAT 22; plan.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0727 5537 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7637 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.