MHG7888 - Chambered cairn, Clachan Corrach
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NH45NE 2 4883 5655.
(Area NH 48905685) Ballachnecore: Near W end of a spur of Cnoc Mor four orthostats seem to define a polygonal chamber 14ft long and perhaps 9ft wide, while E of a pair of low jamb stones, three low side slabs and pair of portals should mark a passage 3.5 -4.5ft wide and 12.5ft long, of which one lintel is more or less in position. The covering cairn has almost entirely been cleared away. The function of two stones outside the construction cannot be determined.
V G Childe 1944
The cairn has been completely cleared away except for traces around the chamber. Orkney-Cromarty; polygonal.
A S Henshall 1963
The remains of a chambered cairn as described by Childe. Surveyed at 1/2500. Burial Chamber at NH 48835655.
Visited by OS (R D) 20 January 1965
No change. Visited by RCAMS (JRS) March 1989.
Childe, V G, 1944, 'An unrecognised group of chambered cairns', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 78 1943-4, p.26-38, 31-2; illust. 32 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG175.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, Vol. 1, 334, (ROS 3) (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Childe, V G. 1944. 'An unrecognised group of chambered cairns', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 78 1943-4, p.26-38. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 26-38. 31-2; illust. 32.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. Vol. 1, 334, (ROS 3).
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4882 5655 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:2466 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2466 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12414 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.