MHG7897 - Old Parish Church, Kinettas, Strathpeffer
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
(NH 480 581 Graveyard (NAT) OS 6"map, (1971)
A graveyard, still in use, in which stood church of former parish of Kinettas, which name survived only as that of a farm house at NH 4818 581 in 1876.
No record is known of this church before period of Reformation, nor when parish was united to Fodderty, which is presumably when it was abandoned, but ruins were said to have existed towards end of C18th Bain gives "Killetash" as an alternative spelling and states that there was a 'Culdee' station or chapel here (presumably on strength of 'Kil' element).
OPS 1855; NSA (J Noble) 1845; Name Book 1876; R Bain 1899
- --- SHG1941 Text/Publication/Volume: Bain, R. 1899. History of the ancient province of Ross. 57.
- --- SHG2597 Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 14, (J Noble 1838) 252.
- --- SHG3399 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 9, 115.
- --- SHG342 Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 501-4.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4803 5818 (57m by 72m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12405 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.