MHG7912 - Dun - Carnoch Farm
Dun at Carnoch Farm
Type and Period (1)
- DUN (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
NH25SE 4 252 507.
"The remains of an old Druid circle" lie c half a mile E of crannog in Loch Beannocharain (NH 25 SW 4). "The farmer's son at Carnoch (NH 2550) dug inside the circle seven or eight years ago, and found a brass ring, now in his possesion.
F O Blundell 1913 <1>
Not located. Visited by OS (N K B) 24 October 1966
NH 252 507: Galleried Dun, Carnoch. A walled oval enclosure on a glacial mound, measuring some 20 m E-W by 16 m N-S. The wall is about 4 m thick, thickening to N where there are traces of side chambers on either side of the entrance. It has been much jumbled by 19th century excavations; the finds are locally believed to have been sent to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland, but the latter have been unable to trace them.
Information from P J Ashmore to OS 25 August 1976
The dun was scheduled in 1977.
Dun, possibly galleried (627) - centred on NH 25071 50772 (Nmrs No - NH25SE 0004) Alternative name - Lower Carnoch. This site is situated on the north side of the river, 200m to the SW of Carnoch Farm, and was recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project. It is on the summit of a small knoll, which is situated on a low marshy river terrace; a steep bank drops to the river. It is a sub circular feature with a circular bank and has an overall diameter of c24m. The bank is stony in several places, roughly 7-9m in width and surrounds a dished centre with internal diameter of c7m. The bank is 1m in height in the NW and SE parts but otherwise low. It has several stony pits; it has possibly been quarried for its stone or excavated by previous curious parties. It has been suggested that the pits are possible galleries. <2>
The scheduling was revised by Historic Environment Scotland in 2017 in order to update documentation and correct inaccuracies in its spatial depiction. <3>
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 based on 2009 vertical aerial photographs. <4>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Blundell, F O. 1913. 'Further notes on the artificial islands in the Highland area', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 47 1912-13, p.257-302. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 257-302. 280.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2010. Report of Phase Four Strathanmore to Loch Beannacharain: May 2008 - June 2009. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p. 36 Site 627.
- <3> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2017. Update to the Schedule of Monuments: SM3982: Carnoch, dun 260m SSW of Croft House. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 2506 5079 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- RING (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3982 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12179 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.