MHG7947 - Crannog - Loch Dughaill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CRANNOG? (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
NG94NE 2 99 46.
A crannog is visible about 100 yards from shore of Loch Dhughaill when water is very low. Some years before 1913 oak sticks fastened with large wooden pins were washed ashore from it.
F O Blundell 1913. <1>
There is a small apparently artificial island in Loch Dhughaill at NG 9929 4665 and a similar one at NG 9845 4622 (See MHG33086) where river Carron flows out of S end of the loch. It is however doubtful if either of these islands is the 'crannog' described by Blundell which is only visible "when the water is very low". No local information was forthcoming regarding the site.
Visited by OS (W D J) 21 October 1966
A photograph of one of the artificial islands was submitted by a visitor to the HER website in August 2008. It is likely to be the island at NG 9929 4665, and taken from the SE shore of the loch (which the island is closer to) and facing NW. The island of Eilean Mor would thus be just out of sight on the right hand side of the photo. <2>
The marginal grid reference of NH 99 46 has been adjusted to NG9929 4665, as given above for one of the Islands. See MHG33086 for the other. GW 27/04/20
Both of the islands mentioned above are always dry even when the loch is at normal water levels, so are unlikely to be the crannog as originally described. However, vertial aerial photographs taken in 1999-2001 and 2009 show that both of the islands were probably originally larger and that there appears to be a causeway running from the shore to the smaller of the two. Additionally, in the 1999-2001 photos, the larger island, Eilean Mor, has a very straight southern edge with possible indications of a wall or revetment underwater. <3> <4>
- <1> SHG829 Text/Publication/Article: Blundell, F O. 1913. 'Further notes on the artificial islands in the Highland area', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 47 1912-13, p.257-302. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 257-302. 280.
- <2> SHG23809 Image/Photograph(s): Swan, P. 2008-11. Photographs of various HER sites submitted by Paul Swan. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <3> SHG27491 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <4> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 9929 4665 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12032 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.