MHG7959 - Polished Stone Axehead - Cove
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
A stone celt found at Cove, near Rhu Ruadh, consists, perhaps, of some variety of trap, polished. It is 4.5 by 2.75 inches, oval in cross section. It is a common form. NMAS L.1958.16
J H Dixon 1886; W Jolly 1880.
The axehead is currently on loan from the NMS to Gairloch Museum (2019). It is made of porcellanite. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Dixon, J H. 1886. Gairloch in north west Ross-shire: its records, traditions inhabitants and natural history with a guide to Gairloch and Loch Maree. 103, 104; fig.,113.
- --- Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 08/2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Gairloch. Yes. Site 3.
- <1> Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection at Gairloch Museum. L.1958.16.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7999 9099 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- POLISHED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11998 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.