MHG7964 - Cairn, Croftcrunie
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
NH65SW 6 6116 5195.
Stone Circle (NR) (Site of) OS 6" map, (1959)
Below Croftcrunie farm, 500 yards E (NNE) of enclosure (NH65SW 8) and 200 yards SE of enclosure (NH65SW 1) is a "beehive structure". The outer wall is 10 feet thick and 2-3ft high faced internally and externally with large boulders of gneiss closely laid together, with infilling of firmly packed smaller stones and soil. In centre is a circular hole still 5 feet deep, but partly filled with stones. It has appearance of having had a widely vaulted roof (Beaton 1882). Woodham (1956) interprets Beaton's description as an open and mutilated mound cairn, the "vaulted roof" being conceivably a corbelled chamber. Henshall without visiting site, suggests it may be a Clava-type cairn, the surrounding wall possibly being secondary.
A J Beaton 1882; A A Woodham 1956; A S Henshall 1963.
No trace in a pasture field Visited by OS (NKB) 25 11 1970.
Paul, J B, 1892, 'Pilrig House', Trans Edinburgh Architect Ass Vol. 2 1892, p.204-6, 484-5; fig. 4 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1352.
Woodham, A. A., 1956, A survey of prehistoric monuments in the Black Isle, p 81 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG72.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 346, ROS 20 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 7, No. 7 (Text/Report). SHG2675.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Paul, J B. 1892. 'Pilrig House', Trans Edinburgh Architect Ass Vol. 2 1892, p.204-6. Trans Edinburgh Architect Ass. 204-6. 484-5; fig. 4.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 7, No. 7.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 346, ROS 20.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Woodham, A. A.. 1956. A survey of prehistoric monuments in the Black Isle. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Vol. 88 (1953-55). 65-93. p 81.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6115 5195 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13610 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.