MHG7967 - Chambered Cairn - Balnaguie
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NH65SW 3 6283 5473.
Cairn (NR) OS 6" map, (1959)
This is a round cairn with a large Orkney-Cromarty type rectangular chamber of particularly massive slabs.
The cairn has been almost completely removed, leaving a low bank which defines the edge, except in front of the chamber. The surviving stones range from 1'3" to 7' high.
A S Henshall 1963.
A chambered cairn, as described by Henshall. The outer limits measure 26m E to W by 28m transversely.
Resurveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (R B) 16 March 1966.
Lynn Fraser submitted photographs of this site via the Highland HER Flickr group. <1>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 7, No. 1.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 336-7, ROS 6; fig. 74.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Woodham, A. A.. 1956. A survey of prehistoric monuments in the Black Isle. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Vol. 88 (1953-55). 65-93. p 69, No. 5.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Fraser, L. Photographs of various HER sites by Lynn Fraser. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6282 5473 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2313 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13607 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- www.flickr.com/groups/her (Highland HER Flickr group)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.