MHG7968 - The Temple Chambered Cairn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED ROUND CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
The Temple (NAT) Chambered Cairn (NR) (Site) OS6" map, 1959
This has been a round cairn with a possibly Orkney-Cromarty type chamber. It is now robbed almost flat, with 3 slabs ranging from 1'3" to 2'9" in height, protruding in centre; and 2 earthfast stones on SW which may be remains of a peristalith.
A whetstone, found on site, and now in possession of Miss M Gammie, Croftcrunie Farm, Tore, is presumably unconnected with burial phase of cairn. It measures 2" x 3/8" and is perforated at wider end. There is a cast in NMAS. (AL/203).
A A Woodham 1956; A S Henshall 1963.
A chambered cairn as described by Henshall, outer limits of which measure 26m N x 22m transversely. Many large stones lie in and around central area, and field clearance heaps are prominent on S and E sides. The whetstone found on site was donated by Miss N Gammie to Inverness Museum last year.
Resurveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (R B) 17 March 1966.
As described The field clearance heaps mentioned by Bruce are recent.
Visited by OS (N K B) 20 November 1970.
The cast and mould for the cast are listed under the Acc. Nos. AL 203 and AL 203 A in the NMS catalogue. <1>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 9, No. 17.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 354, ROS 37.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Woodham, A. A.. 1956. A survey of prehistoric monuments in the Black Isle. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Vol. 88 (1953-55). 65-93. p 93.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. AL 203, AL 203 A.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6178 5260 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- WHETSTONE (Undated)
- CAST (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4594 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13606 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.