MHG7985 - Hut Circle - Ardmore
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC to 560 AD)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Undated)
- None recorded
Centred 699 876.
(A: NH 6992 8767; B: NH 6992 8760) Hut Circles (NR) (C: NH 6989 8764) Hut Circle (NR) (Site of)
OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
Three small circles, greener than the surrounding ground. The circumferences are slightly raised, and the interiors concave.
Name Book 1874.
in an area of birch scrub is a settlement of 3 circular stone-walled huts. (A - C) Hut diameters are given between wall centres.
Hut 'A' measures c.15m diameter with wall spread to c.3.5m all round. N and E arcs are ill- defined. The entrance is not evident.
'B' is overgrown and measures c13m diameter with the wall spread to c3m all round. The entrance in SE is ill-defined.
'C' is severely mutilated, with its S arc destroyed. It measures c13.5m diameter with wall spread to c3m. The entrance is not apparent.
In vicinity of hut circles are a few stone clearance heaps, presumably from contemporary cultivation plots.
Visited by OS (R L) 26 October 1970.
A scraper of amber-coloured flint 1" by 0.9", in Dumrobin Museum (Acc.No.X.70) is said to come from 'Ardvanie hut circle', which may be a reference to this site.
Information from TS of 'Catalogue of Dunrobin Museum' by A S Henshall.
The scraper was catalogued during an inventory of Dunrobin Castle Museum's collection in 2019 by ARCH. Listed under Acc. No. X70. It is on display in case 27, shelf A. <1>
- --- SHG2670 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 19, No. 144.
- --- SHG3340 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 10, 28.
- <1> SHG28514 Collection/Finds Collection: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection At Dunrobin Castle Museum. X70.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6992 8764 (111m by 115m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- SCRAPER (TOOL) (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13815 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.