MHG7990 - Ardross
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- ENCLOSURE (Undated)
- None recorded
NH67SW 9 unlocated.
'There are ... several small enclosures, which appear to have been places of sepulture. The most perfect of these is of oblong form, about twelve or fourteen feet long, and two or three feet in breadth. It consists of a large and massive flat stone placed upright at the head - while on either side, there are three or four similar stones placed in a line, but none at the foot. It was, we believe, orginally roofed, the entrance being at the open end; but it was, several years ago, considerably injured by some masons, who wished to obtain the stones ... There is no tradition connected with it.'
NSA (written by Rev D Carment - 1838) 1845.
It is not clear exactly where these enclosures occur in the parish, but, from the context, they are probably in the neighbourhood of Ardross.
OS 6" map annotated by E Scott 6 March 1963.
No further information was found during field investigation.
Visited by OS (W D J) 1 May 1963.
No change. These are probably chambered cairns (NH67SW 1,3,6,10)
Visited by OS (N K B) 29 October 1970.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6000 7000 (60m by 60m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13807 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.