MHG7995 - Carn Fionntearnagh
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN? (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- BURIAL (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- BURIAL CAIRN (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
NB Mains of Ardoss is N of the road, so this GR is badly adrift. The owner of the castle at Ardross was FSA and interested in antiquities, there are reports of at least one urn being held in the castle in the C19 - HAW 11/2002
NH67SW 4 60 74.
In 1848 'Carn Fionntearnach', a large cairn on Mains of Ardross, similar to the cairn at Millcraig (Chambered Cairn - NH65NE 1), was removed. As well as the central cist there were several others in the body of the cairn, providing after-burials. A number of bones in good preservation, and a few flint arrowheads were found.
R Maclean 1886.
No further information: enquiries at Mains of Ardross were negative. Visited by OS (W D J) 1 May 1963.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Maclean, R. 1886. 'The Parish of Rosskeen', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 12 1885-6, p.324-39. Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness. 324-39. 334.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 11, No. 41.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5999 7400 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- ARROWHEAD (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13802 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.