MHG8000 - Cairns, Stittenham
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- (Alternate Type) BURIAL CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
GR more likely to be as above if NE of scheduled cairn - but poss still in SAM - HAW 11/2004
Cairns, Stittenham: Two cairns, some 4m in diameter and 0.4m in height, are situated 30m ENE and 90m NE from the chambered cairn described on NH67SW 1.
RCAHMS 1979, visited 1978.
Two mounds as described above were noted ENE of the chambered cairn. They are turf-covered and more likely to be field clearance heaps rather than burial mounds.
Visited by OS (J B) 23 February 1981.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 12, No. 62 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6492 7430 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:4700 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4700 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13796 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.