MHG8001 - Seapal-Dail a Mhic

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • CHAPEL (Early Bronze Age to Medieval - 2400 BC to 1559 AD)
  • (Alternate Type) CHAMBERED CAIRN (Early Bronze Age to Medieval - 2400 BC to 1559 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Chapel (NR) (Remains of) OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

The only remains are two upright pillars. Name Book 1875.

Of the chapel known as 'Seapal-dail a' mhic' on farm of Achandunie (NH 645 721) only part of foundation remains. This suggests that chapel measured 42' x 24'. It lies in centre of a stone circle measuring 112' x 66', two stones of which remain standing. They are of sandstone, split out of one block and measuring 5'6" high, 3'8" broad and 1' thick. A few large stones lie covered by the debris of the ruin, the rest having been removed.
R Maclean 1886.

No trace of alleged chapel foundations could be found in this heavily overgrown copse. The two almost identical upright sandstone slabs are facing each other, 0.9m apart. They are 1.5m high, 0.8m wide and 0.3m thick, and face ESE - WNW. About 6m to E and S of them are several large boulders, and others, 5 of which form an arc, occur here and there in copse. None of stones seem to be in situ and rhododendrons make a true assessment of site impossible. The sandstone slabs are suspiciously vertical possibly indicating that they were erected at a late date.
Revised at 1/2500. Visited by OS (J M) 27 September 1974.

NH 642 727 Clearance within area of dense rhododendron revealed part of a site referred to as 'druidical place of worship' and chapel in antiquarian reference. Located adjacent to pair of standing stones recorded by RCAHMS (1979), these were probably re-erected during 19th century. Exposed remains consist of arc of ?kerb stones associated with off-centre settings for ?two small chambers. Possible remains of heavily denuded Orkney-Cromarty cairn.
Tain Archaeological Group 1995.


Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 2, 37 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3350.


Maclean, R, 1886, 'The Parish of Rosskeen', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 12 1885-6, p.324-39, 338 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1704.


RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 24, No. 203 (Text/Report). SHG2670.


TAG, 1995, 'Achandunie (Rosskeen parish), ?denuded chambered cairn', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1995, p.44-45, 44-45 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG88.

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 6420 7275 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH67SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish ROSSKEEN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.