MHG8015 - Neo Stone Axe, Ardross
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
An axe of felstone 4 5/8" in length by 2" across the cutting edge, with truncated butt, and nearly circular in the cross section - found at Ardross. It was purchased for NMAS.
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1894.
No further information was found regarding this axe during field investigation. Visited by OS (W D J) 1 May 1963.
Listed in the NMS catalogue which describes it as as polished. It was acquired in 1894. Acc. No. AF 420. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1894. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 28 1893-4, p.5-9, 58-62, 119-25, 178-85, 213-18, 234-43. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 5-9, 58-62, 119-25, 178-8. 8.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. AF 420.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6100 7400 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13780 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.