MHG8016 - Carved Stone Ball - Contullich Farm
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC?)
- None recorded
A stone ball, ornamented with six discs was presented to Nat. Mus. Ants. Scot. by Andrew Urquhart, MA, Headmaster of Rosehall Public School. It was found on the surface of a cultivated field in the farm of Contullich, 2 miles north of Alness. It is made of diorite, the discs only slightly raised above the intervening triangular spaces. The whole surface is greatly weathered. Stone ball had no visible association with an interment. In spite of the weather and friction of farm implements, it has well maintained its six-sided character. <1>
No further information was found during field investigation. Mr Munro, formerly of Contullich, had no knowledge of the find.
OSFI WDJ 1.5.1963
Centred 636 704.
A type 4a (six knobs, not very prominent) carved stone ball, found on the surface of an arable field on Contullich farm, is in RMS (AS 158). <2>
The stone ball was acquired from A. Urquhart in 1907. It is described in the catalogue as made of diorite and measuring 2 11/16" in diameter. Listed under AS 158. <2>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Munro, R. 1907. 'Notes on ornamental stone balls, with reference to two specimins presented to the National Museum by Mr Andrew Urquhart', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 41 1906-7, p.290-300. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 290-300. 290-1.
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: Marshall, D N. 1979. 'Carved stone balls', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 108 1976-7, p.40-72. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 40-72. 66.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. AS 158.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6370 7050 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- BALL (RITUAL) (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-180-001-380-C& (Link to NMS online collections database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13779 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.