MHG802 - Round Cairn, Brawlbin
Site of late neolithic-bronze age round cairn.
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
Ruined cairn, probably round, not chambered.
J L Davidson and A S Henshall 1991.
A cairn as described by the previous authorities. There is no evidence of a chamber.
Visited by OS (NKB) 16 September 1981.
Cairn (NR) OS 6"map, (1963)
The remains of a cairn now a shapeless mass of turf-covered stones measuring abut 19m N-S by 16m transversely, and 1m in maximum height. No structure remains.
Visited by OS (JLD) 10 April 1962.
A cairn so ruined that nothing of its internal structure can be seen. Said in 1910 to be the indefinite remains of a construction from whose turf-covered surface protrude the heads of thin slabs set on end (RCAHMS 1911)
A S Henshall 1963, visited 1956; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 170.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Hill, P.H.. 1985. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: Volume III: 1982-1983. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1985. Paper and Digital. 8, 207, no. FOR 384, fig. 6.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 100, No. 365.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 290, CAT 51.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0606 5758 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7652 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.