MHG8029 - Cairn w finds, Achnacloich
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- BURIAL (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
A grave is said to have been found 'under a cairn at Achnacloich' in 1880, but it is possible that this report refers to the cairn at Stittenham (NH67SE 15, c.v.). The stone-lined grave was set in a pit and measures 2.4m by 0.75m by 0.6m. It contained what may have been an oak coffin containing an inhumation accompanied by three barbed flint arrowheads (RMS(NMAS): EQ 353-5) and a shale disc.
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1922; RCAHMS 1979.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 9, No. 29.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. EQ 353- EQ 355.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1922. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 56 1921-2, p.10-23, 60-4, 115-17, 169-71, 260-1, 319-20. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 10-23, 60-4, 115-17, 169-. 18.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6680 7380 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- BARBED AND TANGED ARROWHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- COFFIN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- DISC (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13765 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.