MHG8035 - Cup & ring markings, Newmore Wood
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CUP AND RING MARKED STONE (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC)
- None recorded
NH67SE 30 6832 7366.
NH 683 737. In 1976, a boulder bearing cup-and-ring markings was recorded here, in Newmore Wood. (As the RCAHMS field surveyors give no further info about this stone, presumably it was not located by them, having become overgrown.)
J E Kirby 1976; RCAHMS 1979. <1><2>
An obviously displaced stone lies at NH 6832 7366 in a coniferous plantation. It measures 0.8m by 0.6m by 0.3m thick, and bears on its upper surface a cup mark 0.08m in diameter encircled by remains of a ring 0.2m in diameter.
Surveyed at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (J B) 23 February 1981.
Photographs of this site were submitted to the HER in December 2009 by a website user, Graham Grant. The stone is confirmed to be in the above location, approximately 20m east of a new FC car park and is as described. There are other similar boulders in the vicinity which have been covered or uncovered by recent forestry works, but there are no visible marks on any of these. <3><4>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Kirby, J E. 1976. 'Rosskenn, round cairns, cup and ring marked boulder', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1976, p.60. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 60. 60.
- <2> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 18, No. 131.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Grant, G. 2009-11. Information and photographs of various HER sites submitted by Graham Grant. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <4> Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. Graham Grant, 11/12/2009.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6832 7366 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13758 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.