MHG8037 - BA Blade, Alness Golf Course
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
Golf Course centred to GR above - HAW 03/2004
NH67SE 29 65 70.
Part of socketed bronze blade 3,25" long overall, the socket having perforations at each side and covered with a thick green patina, glossy in places. Found nearly 50 feet above the burn on the Alness golf-course, about a mile from the village. Presented to NMAS by Lt Col. T W Cuthbert, Achindunie, Alness.
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1930.
No further info. Visited by OS (W D J) 11 May 1963.
This socketed blade was catalogued as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned a Late Bronze Age date. <1>
Listed under Acc. No. DO 40 in the NMS catalogue. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1930. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 64 1929-30, p.9-24, 106-11, 211-17. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 9-24, 106-11, 211-17. 10.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 129.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. DO 40.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6593 7065 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- BLADE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13756 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.