MHG8039 - BA Flat Axe, Auchnagarron
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
Part of a type Ba flat bronze axe from Auchnagarron (Achnagarron: name at NH 678 704) is in NMS (NMAS) (DA 85).
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1925; J M Coles 1971.
No further information found during field investigation.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 11 May 1963.
(Unclassified flat axe). Flat axe, fragment, butt missing, cutting edge incomplete, green patina, corroding, sides faceted; remaining length 98mm, cutting edge 111mm, weight 485 gms.
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
This axehead was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned an Early Bronze Age date. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1971. 'Scottish Early Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 101 1968-9, p.1-110. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 1-110. 33, 85.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Junghans, Sangmeister and Schroder, S, E and M. 1968. Studien zu den Anfangen der Metallurgie II: Kupfer und Bronze in der fruhen Metallzeit Europas. pt. 2.3, no. 7379.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. DA 85.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 50, no. 274.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1925. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 59 1924-5, p.11-18, 71-5, 109-13, 153-7, 196-8, 232-6. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 11-18, 71-5, 109-13, 153-. 14.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 1.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6780 7039 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-034-272-C&scache=3qawsc0&searchdb=scran (Link to online NMS collections database record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13754 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-034-272-C& (Link to online SCRAN record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.