MHG8059 - Hut circle & Clerarance cairns, Rhibreack

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
  • FIELD SYSTEM (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

GR corrected to above to central hut circle. Marked on 1st ed OS as Hut circle (Pictish) and with 7 cairns marked between it and hut to W (plus further to N & S as well) - HAW 6/2004

NH68SE 18 690 839.
('A': NH 6888 8391; 'B': NH 6894 8391) Hut Circles (NR) ('C': NH 6911 8396) Hut Circle (NR) (Centred NH 6892 8391) Cairns (NR) (Site of) OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

Macdonald, Brown and Polson (1931) mentions hut circles about a mile S of Lecanich (NH 68 85), near Bailecharn. They, with some small cairns in the vicinity, are noted in the ONB (1874)
Name Book 1874; D MacDonald, A Brown and J Polson 1931.

Near the crest of a N- facing slope, is a settlement of 3 stone-walled huts ('A' - 'C') and a contemporary field system.
Hut 'A' is oval, measuring c.15.5m WNW-ESE by c.13.0m between the centres of a wall spread to c.3.5m all round. The 'simple' entrance in the ESE is c.1.5m wide.
'B' is oval, measuring c.12.0m E-W by c.10.0m between the centres of a wall spread to c.3.0m all round. The 'simple' entrance, in the E, is c1m wide.
'C' (noted as an enclosure by first OS field investigator in 1963) is circular, measuring 14.5m in diameter within a wall 1.4m thick all round. The inner wall face, of contiguous stones set on edge, is visible around the whole of N arc and intermittently elsewhere. Several stones of outer face are visible, mainly in S. The hut appears to have been robbed as there is little trace of the wall core, except at S side of the entrance where material is spread to c3m. The 'simple' entrance, 2.2m wide, in E, is flanked on N side by two earthfast stones and on S by one.
The field system is marked by stone clearance heaps, probably the "small cairns" referred to in ONB, an occasional lynchet and a few field walls. No measurable plots were identified.
Revised at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (W D J) 13 May 1963 and (R L) 21 October 1970.

There are numerous small cairns, several stony banks and what may be three hut-circles in this area.
RCAHMS 1979, visited September 1978.


Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 10, 64 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3340.


MacDonald, Polson and Brown, D, A and J, {1931}, The book of Ross, Sutherland and Caithness, Orkney and Shetland: descriptive, historical and antiquarian notes, 64 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2437.


RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 21, No. 163 (Text/Report). SHG2670.

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 6902 8393 (909m by 207m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH68SE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish EDDERTON

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.