MHG8065 - Hut circle, Casandamff
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC to 560 AD)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Undated)
Now lies within modern conifer plantation - HAW 6/2004
NH68SE 12 6808 8244 and 6807 8247.
Two well-preserved hut circles 'A' and 'B' respectively.
'A' measures c.15.5m in diameter, between the centres of a wall spread to 2.8m. Entrance in E.
'B' measures c.11.5m in diameter between the centres of a wall spread to 3m. Part of NW arc has slipped away into a deep gully. Entrance in E.
The area has recently been reclaimed and reseeded, but probably contemporary cultivation is indicated by the remains of a few clearance heaps and an old field wall.
Surveyed at 1/10560. Visited by OS (J B) 10 June 1975.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 21, No. 166 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6807 8245 (34m by 51m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:5495 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5495 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13889 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.