MHG8068 - Meikle Daan
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
NH68SE 1 6896 8456.
This two-storeyed house, which is associated with a walled enclosure and ruinous out-buildings, appears at first glance to be of conventional 18th-century appearance. Closer examination reveals an asymmetrical three-bay frontage, and a rear projection contains part of an old stair. The door-lintel is inscribed with the initials A M, M F and the date 1680; the same initials and date are on an elaborately sculptured fireplace lintel which came from Daan and is now in Balnagown Castle (NH77NE 1). Alexander Munro, a minister of Edderton, and his wife, Margaret Forrester, are the persons in question; however, a house at Daan first comes on record in 1592, and some of the remains on this site may antedale the Munro connection.
NSA 1845; A P Forbes 1872; D Macrae 1911; ISSFC 1926; C T McInnes 1940; G Stell 1986.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Macrae, D. 1911. 'Notice of some unrecorded sculptured stones at Edderton, Ross-shire, and at Foss, Pertshire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 45 1910-11, p.398-402. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 398-402. 398-400.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Forbes, A P. 1872. Kalendars of Scottish saints, with personal notices of those of Alba, Laudonia and Strathclyde. xxviii.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 15, Ross and Cromarty, 449.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 31, No. 270.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: McInnes, C T. 1940. 'Calendar of writs of Munro of Foulis 1299-1823', Scot Rec Soc Vol. 72. Scot Rec Soc. Nos. 72, 123, 129 and passim.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Stell, G. 1986. Architecture and society in Easter Ross before 1707. SHG1943. 99-132. 126; fig. 8.23.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6896 8455 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB1815 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13886 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.