MHG8069 - Bridge Over Easter Fearn Burn, A836 Road
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
(Location cited as NH 641 862). Bridge over Easter Fearn Burn, built c. 1810-15 by engineer Thomas Telford. A tall semicircular arched rubble bridge. <1>
The bridge was listed at Category B in 1983.
Easterfearn Bridge. A single semicircular arch with buttressed abutments, of coursed rubble construction and span 40 ft (12.2m). The drystone approach-wall of rounded stones continues into the road embankment on the E. <2>
This bridge carries the A836 public road over the Easter Fearn Burn.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 5 May 1998.
In 2014 ARCH provided a number of courses, field trips and other activities exploring and researching the remains of the 19th century engineer, road and church builder Thomas Telford. A project was undertaken in Kyle of Sutherland, during which many sites were visited and photographed by participants. The bridge was visited photographed during this project. The current bridge is not the original Telford bridge. An arch washed away in floods of September 1839, and was replaced by this bridge in 1840 (26th and 27th Reports of the Commissioners for Roads and Bridges). However, it was rebuilt in a very similar style to the original, as shown by the detailed drawings in the 9th Report of the Commissioners for Roads and Bridges. The bridge is known locally as High Bridge. <3>
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 according to OS MasterMap. <4>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 286.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Nelson, G. 1990. Highland Bridges. Paperback. 148.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Kruse, S.. 2015. Telford in the Kyle of Sutherland Project. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. Digital. Site 12.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6405 8628 (28m by 13m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (4)
- http://kweimar.de/Bilder_XML.php?ket=10_01 (View more information on this bridge from a website about Highland Bridges)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB1809 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.archhighland.org.uk/telford-in-kyle-of-sutherland.asp (Visit the ARCH Telford in the Kyle of Sutherland Project page)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13877 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.