MHG807 - Chambered Cairn, Sithean Buidhe
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Sithean Buidhe (NAT), Chambered Cairn (NR) OS 6"map, (1963)
A chambered round cairn of the Orkney-Cromarty group, now a conspicuous grass-grown mound, steep-sided and flat-topped and apparently almost intact apart from the chamber roof which has collapsed. It is 55ft in diameter and 6ft high, and the entrance has been from the east, on which side two large passage lintels are exposed about 20ft from the edge, as are the passage walls, 3ft apart, of flat horizontally-laid slabs. To the west of the lintels, a transverse slab projects from the north side; its partner to the south was visible in 1910 (RCAHMS 1911). A short stretch of the south wall of the chamber, consisting of a few slightly oversailing courses, can also be seen.
A S Henshall 1963, visited 1956; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.
A chambered cairn as described above, 17m diameter and 2m in height.
Visited by OS (J L D) 10 April 1962.
No change. Visited by OS (J M) 1 July 1981.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 99-100, No. 364; pl. XXXIV (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 290, CAT 51; plan (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S, 1991, The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents, 138, no. 51; plan (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2115.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 138, no. 51; plan.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 99-100, No. 364; pl. XXXIV.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 290, CAT 51; plan.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0607 5753 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:481 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM481 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7657 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.