MHG8074 - Fearn Abbey
Possible site of early C13 abbey
Type and Period (1)
- ABBEY (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
For another possible location of Fearn Abbey, see NH87NW0001.
Enquiries at Mid Fearn (NH 6314 8744) and elsewhere proved negative; buildings are all modern.
Visited by OS (W D J) 21 May 1963.
Fearn Abbey: said to have been founded by Ferquhard, earl of Ross, at Farne beside Kincardine in Strathcarrin, 1221-2 or c1227 whence abbey was transferred to a site in parish of Tarbat, after which it was called New Fearn. Its mother-church was Whithorn, dedicated to St. Ninian.
D E Easson 1957.
The Abbey stood at Fearn, probably Middle Fearn, where vestiges of its buildings seem to have been visible until the end of C16.
Orig Paroch Scot 1855; Info from 'Chronicle of the Earlis of Ross'
Relics of St. Ninian are said to have been brought N from Whithorn at foundation of Fearn Abbey. NSA 1845.
- --- SHG13887 Image/Photograph(s): Fearn Abbey. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG13888 Image/Photograph(s): Fearn Abbey. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG2156 Text/Publication/Volume: Easson, D E. 1957. Medieval religious houses in Scotland: with an appendix on the houses in the Isle of Man. 87.
- --- SHG2597 Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 14, 440-2.
- --- SHG2670 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 26, No. 220.
- --- SHG342 Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 414-15.
- --- SHG5781 Image/Photograph(s): Fearn Abbey, Ross.. Unknown. .
- --- SHG7746 Image/Photograph(s): Fearn Abbey, spiral in wall. Unknown. .
|Grid reference||Centred NH 63 87 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13863 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.