MHG8076 - Leachonich
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NH68NE 8 6842 8594.
A round cairn with a polygonal chamber. It has a diameter of about 50ft, and, although robbed, there is a considerable amount of cairn material remaining. The edge is well defined though the site is partly overgrown by heather and bracken. Some of the structure of the passage and chamber is visible but the central area is completely blocked. The entrance has been from the E. The tops of 3 stones of the inner compartment project. Orkney-Cromarty type.
V G Childe 1944; A S Henshall 1963, visited 15.7.56.
NH 6842 9594. The remains of the cairn are as described by Henshall. It measures 17.0m SW-NE and 15.0m transversely. Its height varies from 0.7m on the north side to 1.3m on the south side. Three upright slabs at the west end of the chamber and two at the south end, project through the cairn material. The largest stone, at the east end, measures 1.0m x 0.4m x 0.6m high.
Surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (W D J) 16 May 1963.
Childe, V G, 1944, 'An unrecognised group of chambered cairns', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 78 1943-4, p.26-38, 30 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG175.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 351, SUT 29; plan (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 8, No. 15 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Childe, V G. 1944. 'An unrecognised group of chambered cairns', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 78 1943-4, p.26-38. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 26-38. 30.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 8, No. 15.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 351, SUT 29; plan.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6842 8594 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:2390 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2390 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13860 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.