MHG8083 - Ardvannie

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NH68NE 5 6915 8790.
Cairn (NR) OS 6" map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1907)

An ancient cairn situated on a wooded knoll.
Name Book 1874.

A large mound of bare stones situated on top of a natural knoll, now devoid of trees, over-looking the Dornoch Firth. It measures 18.5m E-W by 17.8m N-S and its height varies from 1.5m in the north side to 2.0m in the east side. The top is flattish and there is evidence of excavation but no trace of a cist or chamber was seen and no evidence of a kerb was noted round the perimeter.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (W D J) 15 May 1963.

This oval cairn measures 18.5m in maximum diameter and stands 2m high. On the W there are traces of a shallow ditch and external bank surrounding the cairn; the ditch is interrupted by a causeway on the W.
RCAHMS 1979, visited October 1978.


Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 10, 5 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3340.


RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 10, No. 38 (Text/Report). SHG2670.

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 6914 8789 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH68NE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish EDDERTON

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.