MHG8102 - Ballachraggan
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SETTLEMENT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH66NW 7 centred 644 690.
Previous to 1800 the village of Alness stood on the farm of Baile Chreagain, south and east of the Parish Church. The Ale-house was at the east side of the church-yard, its back wall forming part of the enclosure of the churchyard.
R Maclean 1889.
No remains. No further information.
Visited by OS (R D L) 10 May 1963.
Maclean, R, 1889, 'Notes on the Parish of Alness', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 14 1887-8, p.217-32, 219 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1222.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 31, No. 271 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Maclean, R. 1889. 'Notes on the Parish of Alness', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 14 1887-8, p.217-32. Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness. 217-32. 219.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 31, No. 271.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6439 6900 (160m by 160m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13683 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.