MHG8128 - Polished Axe, Dalgheal or Dalghead
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
A polished greenstone axe 'from Dalghead, Evantown' is in RMS(NMAS) (AF 446). (Dalghead: name not located; Evanton: NH 60 66).
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1898.
The occupier of Dail-Gheal at NH 615 674 (Dalgheal on current OS maps) said that he had not heard of any place bearing name Dalghead, but added that 'Dail'Gheal' was frequently mis-spelled.
Visited by OS (RDL) 5 May 1963.
Acquired by the NMS in 1897.Greenstone, 4 5/8 x 2 1/4 in. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1898. 'Donations to,and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 32 1897-8, p.5-10, 57-61, 129-32, 178-80, 236-46. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 5-10, 57-61, 129-32, 178-. 7.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. AF 446.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6100 6699 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- POLISHED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13653 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.