MHG8135 - Cairn - Cnoc Nan Taibhsean
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NH66NE 5 6716 6609.
Cnoc nan Taibhsean (NR). Cairn (NR). OS 6" map, (1959)
Cnoc nan Taibhsean - Hill of the Ghosts - is an unchambered round cairn, 30' in diameter and 4' high, of medium-sized stones intermingled with earth. ONB (1875) notes that although the centre was opened during removal of part of the cairn, nothing was found, but Woodham does not rule out the possibility of a cist being present.
Name Book 1875; A A Woodham 1956
This round cairn is as described above, except that its dimensions are now 8.5m diameter and 0.6m high. It is located in an area of whin and gorse, and is itself covered by dense undergrowth. The name is known locally as 'Cnoc nan Taibhsean'.
Resurveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (R B) 13 January 1966.
Photographs of the cairn were taken by S Gunn in 2021. <1>
GIS data updated in 2021 according to the location of the site as seen on 2009 vertical APs. <2>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 10, No. 26.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 27, 10.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Woodham, A. A.. 1956. A survey of prehistoric monuments in the Black Isle. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Vol. 88 (1953-55). 65-93. p 75.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Digital Image. .
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Gunn, S.. 2021. Photographs of Cnoc Nan Taibhsean (MHG8135). Colour digital. Yes. Digital.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6716 6611 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2969 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13646 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.