MHG8142 - BA Flat Axe, Rosskeen
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A decorated, type Bc, bronze flat axe from Rosskeen is in the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford (1927.2720).
J M Coles 1971.
(Flat axe of Bandon type). Single find. Flanged axe, smooth surface, brown patina; length 115mm, butt 24mm, cutting edge 63mm.
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
This axehead was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock&District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned an Early Bronze Age date. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1971. 'Scottish Early Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 101 1968-9, p.1-110. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 1-110. pp. 16, 85.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Megaw and Hardy, B R S and E M. 1938. 'British decorated axes and their diffusion during the earlier part of Bronze Age', Proc Prehist Soc Vol. 4 1938, p.272-307. Proc Prehist Soc. 272-307. 301.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. pp. 66, no. 354.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 10.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6800 6899 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13639 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.