MHG8159 - Cairn w finds, c 0.5 mile N of Dalnavie, Stittenham
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- CIST? (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
Reports of searching for cist in 1880: found containing remains of oak coffin, 3 barberd arrowheads and a circular shale disc. No human remains - see SMR file - HAW 5/2004
Cairn (remains of) marked on 1st ed OS - HAW 5/2004
NH67SE 15 6536 7413
In 1847-8 a 'large cairn' was removed 'about half a mile north of Dalnavie'; it measured 33m in diameter and 6m in height. What may be its remains are situated 400m ESE of Stittenham House. See also NH67SE 37.
R Maclean 1886; RCAHMS 1979.
All that remains of this cairn is a small mutilated mound of earth and stones 0.9m high situated almost in the centre of a circular area of ground c.42m diameter, containing the stumps of cut-down fir trees and a scatter of stones. The small mound is 13m diameter with a circular depression c.6m diameter in its centre. It is not now possible to determine the original diameter of the cairn.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (WDJ) 8 May 1963.
Inverness FC Vol IV p 104: Gives v full desc of cairn that was "entire" until opened in 1847. In that year dug into for dyke building. In 1882 grave area opened etc etc. - HAW 9.2002
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Maclean, R. 1886. 'The Parish of Rosskeen', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 12 1885-6, p.324-39. Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness. 324-39. 333.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 9, No. 29; 12, No. 63.
- --- Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6535 7413 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- BARBED AND TANGED ARROWHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- COFFIN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- DISC (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13741 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.