MHG8164 - Achnacloich Castle
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CASTLE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH67SE 10 6700 7348.
Achnacloich Castle (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
The castle of the lairds of Achnacloich stood 200 yards E of loch of Achnacloich. It is now all removed but for a portion of dungeon. R Maclean 1886.
The OS 25" plan shows a small yard 3m x 2m at NH 6700 7348 as 'Achnacloich Castle (Remains of)'. This feature, on S slope of a natural flat-topped knoll, is now hidden beneath a heap of field stones, only one small earth-fast stone was seen.
No visible traces of the castle remain.
Revised at 1/2500. Visited by OS (W D J) 9 May 1963.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Maclean, R. 1886. 'The Parish of Rosskeen', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 12 1885-6, p.324-39. Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness. 324-39. 327.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 29, No. 248.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6700 7348 (300m by 300m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13736 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.